Contributed by: Logan Rhea
I’m sure we’ve all been there, when inspiration just isn’t coming. So how in the world does one stay creative when you have to be creative every day for your job? If maintaining a steady stream of creative thoughts and designs is your business, read on for a few ideas about how to keep those juices flowing:
- Harness the Creativity While You Have it. Some days you may be able to work 12 hours straight… other days it’s like the morning just lasts forever. So when you’re feeling the juices flow, take full advantage! Most creatives are night owls, so if inspiration hits at 11:30pm… get to working.
- Switch up your to-do list. Don’t be afraid to switch the order of your projects (as long as everything gets done in a timely fashion, of course). Sometimes creating a logo comes easier than designing a website and that’s ok!
- Hide Your Sources. I read a quote one time that said something along the lines of “a good creative knows how to hide their sources” and it’s so true! Staying up to date with current trends or taking design notes from pieces that have already been created is extremely important when trying to stay out of a creative rut or to keep from churning out cookie-cutter projects.
- Music and Location. Put your headphones in and turn the music up. Get into your groove. Can’t seem to get anything done at your desk? Try switching up your location. Go work from a coffee shop or a park for a bit when you’re just not feeling it.
- Take a Break. Maybe you’ve just completed 4 projects and you need a minute to switch gears before you start the next one. Step outside for a minute. Go for a coffee run. Take some time to stretch. Getting away from your desk for a bit can help you get back into the right mindset.